Knowledgeable Kansas City Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys Pursue Full Compensation
ACCOMPLISHED TRIAL LAWYERS FIGHT FOR OPTIMAL RESULTS FOR BRAIN INJURY CLAIMS
Traumatic brain injury can be a frightening diagnosis, due to the severity of harm and the uncertain prognosis for recovery. Such an injury can be life-changing. Many patients require lifelong care and can no longer maintain gainful employment. If you or a loved one sustained traumatic brain injury in an accident caused by negligence, your chances of winning compensation for economic losses or pain and suffering depend on mounting a strong evidentiary case. At the Barnes Law Firm LLC, our skilled personal injury lawyers have a track record of excellent results in negotiating and trying TBI cases. Our determination is second to none when it comes to pursuing appropriate money damages to meet our clients’ future needs.
TYPES AND DEGREES OF TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY
A traumatic brain injury occurs when an outside force or object contacts or penetrates the cranium, destroying brain tissue. Types and causes of TBIs include:
- Blunt force — If an object violently impacts a victim’s skull, TBI occurs at the point of impact and on the opposite side, in what is called a contrecoup injury. Common causes are assault, sports, falls and motor vehicle accidents.
- Concussive force — This type of TBI, in which an explosion sends shock waves against the victim’s skull, occurs most often in combat but can be triggered by an accidental explosion.
- Penetration — Here, an object pierces the victim’s skull and directly contacts brain tissue. Common causes are gunshots and accidents that produce high-speed projectiles.
- Shaking — A violent back and forth movement can cause the brain to shift within the cranium, resulting in tearing and contrecoup trauma. Common causes are child abuse (including shaken baby syndrome) and vehicle rollovers.
TBI has different degrees, based on severity:
- Mild — Any loss of consciousness is very brief, lasting only a few seconds or minutes. The victim may only feel dazed or confused and usually suffers mild symptoms of a concussion that dissipate within days.
- Moderate — The victim’s loss of consciousness lasts from a few minutes to a few hours. Confusion can last from days to weeks and the victim suffers physical, cognitive or behavioral impairments that last for months and sometimes are permanent.
- Severe — Most often the result of penetration or a crushing of the skull, severe head trauma requires prolonged hospitalization and extensive rehabilitation, which usually does not result in the victim returning to pre-injury condition.
Serious TBI can cause a range of long-term symptoms affecting cognition, sensation, language or emotions. TBI can also cause epilepsy and increase the risk for Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and other age-related brain disorders.
EFFECTIVE STRATEGIES TO RECOVER THE FULL COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE
If you have been diagnosed with TBI or were injured in under circumstances that would suggest a TBI diagnosis is appropriate, you should not rush into a settlement. It is important to allow time for symptoms to emerge and clarify themselves before locking yourself into a level of compensation that might be inadequate two months or so in the future. Our personal injury lawyers take a patient approach to ensure the settlement you accept is fair in light of each and every factor affecting your future. Our goal is to recover compensation for the totality of the harm you have suffered.
Contact our accomplished Kansas City law firm to discuss your TBI accident
The Barnes Law Firm LLC represents victims of traumatic brain injury throughout the greater Kansas City area. Please call 816-221-4321 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. Our office is conveniently located at 919 W 47th Street in Kansas City, Missouri.
$5.3 Million jury verdict for railroad work injured in slip and fall accident.
$35 Million judgment for motorcycle driver who suffered a lower left leg and right arm amputation as a result of a motor vehicle collision
$10.2 Million judgment for class members damaged by the City of Kansas City’s failure to comply with a prior court order requiring Kansas City to provide refuse collection services, of the cash equivalent thereof, to the class
$4 Million settlement for family members of victim killed in a drunk driving accident
KENNETH E. BARNES
JOHN M. CUSICK
KYLE S. BELEW
REVIEWS & REWARDS
John Cusik and the lawyers at
Barnes law firm have shown me nothing but the best in human nature. In times
when you need a lawyer they make that experience easier and take care of the
things that a good lawyer is suppose to do.
I’m extremely pleased with the work of John Cusick and his partners. John
Cusick is great at what he does and I would recommend him to anyone. Beautiful
law firm and great staff.
If you want someone that genuinely cares for you and what you are going
through these are your guys, especially John. John was able to take charge of
my case and produce wonderful outcomes. Everything was always broken down to
me in words I could understand and never felt pressured.
John Cusick has to be one of the best! He really cares and get right to business... I’m very happy how everything turned out!